Monday, November 2, 2009

Don't Lose This. Seriously.

The night before Halloween, I was trifling through my mother's jewelry box to find some additional decorations for my buccaneer attire. My attempts to find some gaudy gemstones were in vain, due to the fact that my fingers are far too small for my mother's jewelry. However, we did manage to find a couple of old rings, that were my mother's before she had "grown up hands".

One ring was a simple, thin gold band with a dark red ruby. The other was a thinker gold band, with a layer of white gold, that was pressed and had a very interesting pattern on it. It was reflective, and simple and very elegant.

Delighted I had found rings that fit on my size four fingers, I asked my mother if she was alright with me taking them as adornment for my costume.
Her response was yes, but as she examined the rings on my hand, she said I had better not lose the fat-banded ring on my left hand. As it so happened, the ring on my hand was my grandmother's original wedding band; The one she wore when she was nineteen.
She then continued to tell me that my grandfather would upgrade her wedding ring every time he had the money saved up. Her other wedding rings are beautiful, gold, covered with three rows of diamonds, but this one is special. It's not "blinged", as my 63-year-old grandma would say. It's simple. It's dainty. It was their first bond of love.

This whole "love" thing is quite the experience. I'm enjoying the ride, and I do hope my boyfriend is as well. It's proven to be an adventure worth taking thus far, and I cannot wait to see where and how far it takes us.

Finding this ring has allowed me to really get a grasp on that. Rich, poor, somewhere in between, love will help you get through. This ring is plain. There are no diamonds, no gems at all. But it still shines after forty-some odd years of marriage.

One day I hope I have a ring similar, that my granddaughter will find with trifling through her mum's jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment